Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Book Review: Famous in Love by Rebecca Serle

Famous in Love by Rebecca Serle
Published October 23rd 2014 by Macmillan Children's Books
Paperback, 432 pages

The romantic story of a girl who gets plucked from obscurity to star in the next major feature film franchise based on a book and the ensuing love triangles she gets entangled in on—-and off screen. 

Meet Paige Townsen, Rainer Devon, and Jordan Wilder…

When Paige Townsen, a young unknown, gets cast in the movie adaptation of a blockbuster book series, her life changes practically overnight. Within a month, Paige has traded the quiet streets of her hometown for a crowded movie set on the shores of Maui, and is spending quality time with her co-star Rainer Devon, one of People’s Sexiest Men Alive. But when troubled star Jordan Wilder lands the role of the other point in the movie’s famous love triangle, Paige’s crazy new life gets even crazier.

In this coming-of-age romance inspired by the kind of celeb hookups that get clever nicknames and a million page views, Paige must figure out who she is – and who she wants – while the whole world watches.
My Thoughts:
After hearing one of my favourite booktubers gush over this book I was keen to check it out. You can imagine how disappointed I was when I discovered that the book wasn't to be released until later this month. But lo and behold, the Netgalley Gods descended upon me and presented this book. I’m always grateful when publishers accept my requests, however this time was different, and I was overcome with excitement and gratitude. I just wanted to read this book so damn much!

Right from the get go I was intrigued by Famous in Love, it offered an interesting synopsis that I hadn't seen before in the YA genre and I knew that it would be a quick read for me. I would like to say that I loved this book but sadly, I didn't Okay, so it did keep me thoroughly entertained and there were some enjoyable moments, but there was too much that I didn't like. 

Like I said above, this book has it downfalls and I can’t ignore them in order to give it a 5 star rating. Our main protagonist, Paige Townsen, was likable at the start of the book but as the story developed I felt that she became quite whiny and annoying. Yes I understand that she was facing many challenges in her life, but she didn't exactly deal with them in a mature way and you’d expect someone in her position to be a bit more grateful for the cards she has been dealt.

Another thing I didn't enjoy was the love triangle and this is coming from someone who loves the occasional bit of angst. Let me tell you now, this book is pretty much built on angst and swooning. I was so frustrated by this that in the end I was hoping that the MC wouldn't end up with any of the love interests. They were both dull, two dimensional characters that didn't appeal to me at all. I think Michelle Hodkin has spoiled me with Noah Shaw and now no other fictional male can live up to him. 

Despite these negative points I think that the author did a great job when it came to creating a realistic environment while the characters were shooting the movie. She seemed to know the ins and outs of how movies are made and you could really tell that she had put a lot of effort into getting this right. I commend her for doing this as I think that it really helped pick the story up and made it more believable for the readers. 

Now you might be wondering whether I recommend this book or not, well, the answer to that is yes. I know I haven’t given it a solid, 5 star review or praised it to no end but I do think that many people will enjoy this as it’s such a light-hearted read. You shouldn't take this book too seriously, but instead you should look at it as something that’ll pull you out of a reading slump or back to school blues. I can’t wait to hear what you guys think of it once it’s released and I’d love to discuss it once you have read it!

1 comment:

  1. WOW - I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to. I have to check out these new reads! I'm now following you via gfc, Hope you check out my blog? keep in touch love x

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    Paperback International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...