Saturday, 5 April 2014

Book Review: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
Published November 8th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton 
Hardcover UK, 513 Pages
Synopsis:
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.
And its snap split the world in two.
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living – one without massacres and torn throats and bonfires of the fallen, without revenants or bastard armies or children ripped from their mothers’ arms to take their turn in the killing and dying.
Once, the lovers lay entwined in the moon’s secret temple and dreamed of a world that was a like a jewel-box without a jewel – a paradise waiting for them to find it and fill it with their happiness.
This was not that world.
My Thoughts:
Can we please take a minute to appreciate the goddess that is Laini Taylor? I adore this woman and her mesmerising writing. If you haven’t read anything by her yet then you need to reevaluate your life choices. Okay, so maybe that was slightly harsh but seriously, I urge everyone to go and pick up this series! 

After learning that Akiva was at the centre of the Chimaera massacre, the soul reason for the death of her family, we see Karou turn her back on him for good and venture into Eretz with an unlikely companion. Here she makes a shocking discovery that everything she once knew and loved is gone. Or so she thought… Fast-forward to Days of Blood and Starlight where riddles aren’t always what they seem.

Who said romance is dead? Well…Laini Taylor did. Days of Blood and Starlight steers away from the romantic aspect of things and focuses on the nitty gritty. This may be disappointing for some of you but believe me when I say it makes the book better. I loved the storytelling in this installment; in the first book we’re only given a glimpse of Eretz and its history, it focuses more on Karou and the burning question of who she is. Whereas in this second book Laini Taylor paints the bigger picture, we’re shown the repercussions of war and the effects that it’s had on not only the Chimaera but also the Seraphim.

There are several new characters and storylines introduced to us in this sequel; I can only hope that Laini will carry on with them in the final book. I’d like to know what happened to the two sisters and whether Karou will resurrect the Dashnag boy. I thoroughly enjoyed that this book didn’t solely revolve around Karou as we’re able to see things from multiple perspectives. My new favourite has to be Ziri as he is such a loveable character; I couldn’t say anything bad about him! I know I haven’t mentioned any of the old characters, but have no fear; most of them make an appearance at some time or another.

Although I’m slightly annoyed with myself for waiting so long to read it, I’m glad I did, as now I wont have to wait as long for the finale. I can’t wait to see how Laini progresses the story in order to get to the ending that this series deserves. I know that this review probably doesn’t do the book justice but I’d like to think that it’s pushed y’all to read it already. Go on, I know you want to! 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you've said about Laini Taylor, her writing truly IS mesmerizing and she's up there with the very best in my opinion. I just love her Daughter of Smoke & Bone books and I'm so curious about what she'll write next when the series ends, even though I'll be sad to see it end.

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saddens me that she isn't as well known as she deserves to be. Her writing is leagues ahead of other Young Adult authors. It'll definitely be interesting to see what she writes next.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...