Friday, 18 April 2014

Book Review: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
Published September 3rd 2013 by Indigo
Paperback, 419 pages
Synopsis:
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.
One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.
My Thoughts:
You know when you go to a concert and the band leaves the stage because its “over” but the crowd knows that there will be an encore, so everyone starts chanting “WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE!” over and over until they come back on. Well, that’s all I can hear in my head while writing this review. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I cant help but feel a little let down with the ending. This is a standalone novel but could easily be part of a duology or even a series. Has Holly Black purposefully left this open ended or is that really it? 

This book had been on my radar for quite some time prior to this review. Having not read anything by Holly Black before I thought it was time to give her a go. Believe me, it certainly won’t be the last time I read a book of hers. Although this had its flaws, I was able to look past them and enjoy the book for what it is. 

Admittedly I'm always sceptic to read paranormal fiction as it has become annoyingly tiresome since twilight. I mean, what vampire sparkles in the sun and is a vegetarian? I'm sorry Edward but you just aren't cutting it for me. I want malicious, natural born hunters. I want vampires who kill with no remorse and take everything they can get. I’m not looking for a love story. I’m looking for straight up badassery! You’ll be glad to know that this book has it all, everything that I mentioned above and more is included is this brilliantly crafted novel. 

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was a refreshing read as it is the polar opposite of Twilight. Right from the offset I knew that I was going to enjoy this book, the premise was exciting and Holly Blacks writing was incredible. I didn’t think that I’d get so caught up in this world that Black has created but I crave more of it. No, I don’t crave it…I need it. 

I don’t want to spoil you too much; instead I urge y’all to give this book a chance because if you’re anything like me then you’ll love it. This is an unforgettable book that I know I will enjoy rereading over and over again. I can’t help but think that paranormal fiction is finally redeeming itself; with authors such as Holly Black, Julie Kagawa and Jennifer L Armentrout around I have hope for the genre.

6 comments:

  1. This was my first Holly Black novel, and I too loved it! Sure, it had its flaws, but I didn't care even after I finished the book. Though, I agree with you about the ending. I felt it was so open-ended, and it just made me want more of the story. Also, I loved the characters, and I'm so glad that the vampires were portrayed in a more horror-like and dangerous light. It felt more real. I just wish there'd been more! :(

    Holly @ Part of that World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the ending to be disappointing, I think we needed a bit more than what were given and knowing that there won't be a sequel is annoying. Besides that I really did love this book. The characters were weirdly wonderful and so unique. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way though!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read this book after seeing it all over booktube. It's too bad that the ending is a little meh. I've heard other people say that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about this through booktubers too and I'm glad I did as its a great read. I haven't seen much of it on the blogging community though, which is a shame.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to read a book by Holly Black, but I have this one on my TBR and I am really glad you enjoyed this one. This does not seem to be your typical vamp story!

    Great review and thanks for sharing! I may pick this up next :)!

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...