Thursday, 20 March 2014

Book Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Published April 14th 2011 by Plume Books
ebook, 314 Pages
Synopsis:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "
Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.
What would he say . . . ?
My Thoughts:
First and foremost, I’d like to say thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book. I squealed with delight when I saw that my request had been accepted within half an hour. After reading Fangirl in November I was itching to read something else by Rainbow Rowell so you cannot imagine my excitement when I found out that this was available to request. I was slightly nervous as to whether I’d enjoy this or not as it is an adult book. I rarely venture into the realm of adult fiction but this year I’ve made it my personal goal to read more of it. And it turns out I’m actually quite liking it!

What I love most about Rainbow Rowell is that she manages to turn even the coldest of people—also known as me—to complete mush. She takes the most cliché of romances and turns them into something good, something that even I enjoy reading. 

I was skeptical when I first started reading Attachments, as Lincoln didn’t stand out to me as the most interesting of guys. We’re introduced to this 29 year old who has a plethora of university degrees under his belt, a run of the mill job that he absolutely hates and he also enjoys spending his Saturday evenings playing Dungeons & Dragons. I nearly forgot to mention that he still lives at home with his mother and that’s the way he likes it. And to top all of that off he seemed reluctant to change. I really wasn’t looking to 300 odd pages of his crap. But boy oh boy I was proved wrong! Lincoln turned out to be an absolute sweetheart; I was rooting for him to get his happy ending.

I really enjoyed the email aspect of the book; I thought that this was a unique way to get to know Jennifer and Beth without having to meet them so early on in the story. As much as I loved Lincoln I think that the two girls were my favourite characters. Beth has an incredibly dry sense of humor and her love for movies is inspiring. I need a friend like her! Jennifer is slightly more grounded than Beth but that doesn’t mean she isn’t quirky. They both seemed so down to earth and you could see why they were best friends. As the story progresses we start to see more depth to their emails but through all the crap they still managed to stay amusing.

Attachments is unlike any romance novel I’ve ever read before. I liked how it didn’t revolve entirely around one character. Instead we get to see the lives of multiple people and how they inevitably come together at some point or another. This was a highly enjoyable book and I urge everyone to pick it up. It might not end up being your favourite book by Rainbow but I'm certain it'll entertain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...