Monday, 10 February 2014

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee

World After by Susan Ee
Published November 21st 2013 by Hodder & Stoughton
Paperback, 439 Pages
Synopsis:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?
My Thoughts:
World After explodes (maybe that’s a bit of an overstatement) onto the scenes right where Angel Fall left off. If this were real life it’d only have been 5 minutes since the last event in Angel Fall had happened.  I highly doubt you guy’s care about that though! I know it’s early in the year to be saying this but I reckon this series will be up there with my favourites this year. This book is the perfect example of a thrilling novel; it has the right amount of action fueled by heartbreaking discoveries. Susan Ee has won me over once again. 4.5 stars for World After!

I’ve been seeing many complaints about the pace of this book on Goodreads. I advise you to ignore them. So the books a bit slower than Angel Fall but who cares? The plot building only added to the epicness that is this book.  

When Penryn isn’t caught up in family drama or being held hostage we are treated to some interesting interaction between Raffes sword and her. Sounds weird right? Funnily enough it actually worked! Believe me I’m as surprised as everyone else. At first I was slightly skeptical of these scenes but as the book progressed I found myself loving them. However, what got me the most was how Penryn appropriately named the sword Pooky Bear! I was absolutely howling when Raffe found out his swords new name.
"He glares at me as if he already hates it. “What is it?” I consider lying but what’s the point? I clear my throat. “Pooky Bear"
He’s silent for so long I’m beginning to think he didn’t hear me when he finally says, “Pooky. Bear.” “It was just a little joke. I didn’t know.”
“I’ve mentioned that names have power, right? Do you realize that when she fights battles, she’s going to have to announce herself to the opposing sword? She’ll be forced to say something ridiculous like, ‘I am Pooky Bear, from an ancient line of archangel swords.’ Or, ‘Bow down to me, Pooky Bear, who has only two other equals in all the worlds.’ ” He shakes his head. “How is she going to get any respect?"
The banter ball was in full swing throughout World After. Raffe and Penryns ever-growing friendship was once again a highlight for me and I can only dream whether it’ll turn into anything more than that. But for now I’m happy with the comedy gold they provide.

If you thought the angels couldn’t get any more diabolical then you were wrong, in World After they gave the term “too far” a whole new meaning. I didn’t know where Susan Ee would go with the whole scorpion breading thing but man did she floor me with shock. If you’ve had your doubts about carrying on with this series you should brush them aside and just pick this up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...