Sunday, 16 February 2014

Book Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Published February 5th 2013 by Harper Collins
Paperback, 461 pages
Synopsis:
Our lips
touch
and I know I'm going to split at the seams. He kisses me softly then strongly like he's lost me and he's found me and I'm slipping away and he's never going to let me go.
Juliette has escaped from The Reestablishment. Now she's free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible. Haunted by her past and terrified of her future, Juliette knows that she will have to make some life-changing choices. Choices that may involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.
My Thoughts:
Tahereh Mafi’s writing style is so utterly captivating you can’t help but find yourself drawn to it. She could be writing about the most horrific thing in the world and still find a way to make it seem beautiful. Okay so maybe her world building isn’t up to scratch but that doesn’t matter. The writing is that good you wont care!

If you’ve read my review for Shatter Me you will know how much I loved that book, I don’t think I’ve ever gushed so much in my life. Unravel Me was no different. Heck I’m still finding it hard to put my thoughts into sentences and I finished reading this nearly 6 days ago now.

I think everyone who’s read this book will agree that Juliette was very irritating during the first few chapters. I found Juliette to be quite whiny, bitchy and downright rude. I understand that she was going through a lot but at times I thought shed gone too far. Alas the wonderful Kenji was there to pull her head out of her ass and bring Juliette back to reality. Needless to say Kenji was my favourite character throughout the whole of this series. Everything about him is so likeable and it’s a joy to read the scenes with him in.

I’m so glad that Juliette pulled herself together as we really got to see her character grow throughout this book. She finally comes to terms with the fact that she’ll never be a “normal” teenager and embraces the powers that she’s been graced with. It was interesting to see her learn to not only utilise them but also control them, especially as it didn’t come easily to her. This resulted in some amusing scenes between Juliette and Kenji as she was stressing out.

At the end of Shatter Me we see Adam and Juliette arrive at Omega Point, I wasn’t too sure how I felt about this, as it seemed wrong. I thought that they were stupid for trusting a bunch of people that they didn’t even know. I’m glad they decided to stay there as we learn that Juliette isn’t the only one with powers. In Unravel Me Tahereh spoils us with an array of new characters that have some supercool powers. This only got me even more excited to see what would come of the war between The Reestablishment and mankind.

Adam or Warner? A no brainer for me but a mind-boggling question for Juliette. Let me put this out there; I have been on team Warner since day one. I don’t know what it is about him but wow. He gets me hot and bothered, you will know what I mean when you read Chapter 62, holy smokes that chapter was incredible. I almost feel like a pervert for saying that. Note to self: He’s a fictional character but so damn gorgeous. You know what I like about this love triangle? It could go anywhere. As a reader you don’t know who will end up together and at times it can be frustrating but you still want more! Juliettes feelings towards both males are so conflicted, I almost feel sorry for the girl, she just doesn’t know what she wants! Throughout a lot of this book I found myself sitting with a smug smile plastered on my face. Lets just say Adam lets his cool slip and in comes King of the douchebags.

So if you thought Shatter Me was good then believe me, you haven’t seen nothing yet. While reading this book I was constantly updating my status on Goodreads and reading back on some of my reactions is quite amusing. This series has well and truly grabbed my heart; I’m looking forward to seeing more from Mafi in the future, as she really is a poetic author. I ended up marathoning Unravel Me and Ignite Me so stayed tuned for my review on the final book; it really was a terrific ending to an enchanting series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...