Monday, 20 January 2014

Book Review: Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Published January 7th 2014 by Ember
Paperback, 304 Pages
Synopsis:
In Lauren Morrill's sweet and witty debut, it's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").
But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.
My Thoughts:
Meant to Be had a promising start but in the end it came up short and failed to wow me. Except for the cover, look how beautiful it is. 

It’s common knowledge that I love a good young adult contemporary so when I managed to get my hands on a copy of this I was beyond excited and couldn't wait to get stuck in! Oh the disappointment I felt on completion of this book was immense. I still can’t wrap my head around the disappointment I feel, but it’s there, in the back of my mind. If there’s one thing that’s came out of this experience it’s that I need to read negative reviews rather than bypassing them and going straight to the good ones. You can’t always assume that something will be good as people said it was. 

I couldn't connect with the characters AT ALL. The main character Julia was the worst of a bad bunch- she’s whiny, painstakingly boring and so unbelievably pathetic. At the sweet age of 17 Julia believes that there is only one guy for her. Her “meant to be” dream boy Mark and heres the funny thing; she hasn't spoken to him since she was 6, so yes it must be love. Her ideas of love were completely ridiculous I felt myself cringing every time she preached about it. I also hate how stuck up this character was, she looked down on everyone like she was better than them, girl you aint no Goddess! 

Jason, the boy every female swooned over. WHY? Don’t get me wrong he did have his “adorable” moments but I’d hardly say he was hot. I don’t see how anyone could be attracted to someone so irritating and immature. 

I don’t even want to talk about any of the other characters. Newsflash: They weren't great. 

It was apparent from the start that Jason and Julia would end up together. Despite their differences fate stepped in and put them hand in hand. However, as a reader I felt that Jason didn't really show genuine feelings towards Julia as when he’s not embarrassing her he’s either hanging out with his ex-girlfriend or just point blank ignoring her. Solid ground to start something on guys! 

One thing I did like about this book was how the author portrayed England so beautifully. I'm British born and bred yet I felt the need to visit these places I've already been to and actually explore them properly. 

Despite my negative comments you shouldn't be put off reading this book as you may end up loving it like so many do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...