Monday, 27 January 2014

Book Review: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Published March 9th 2010 by Harper Teen
Paperback, 419 Pages
Synopsis:
In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.
At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.
My Thoughts:
The thought of writing this has been plaguing my mind for two weeks now. You have no idea how hard it’s been for me to put my thoughts into words. So all I’m going to say right now is that this book blew my mind. I can finally understand why it has so won many awards; they don’t give out those bad boys to any author.

I have read my fair share of YA contemporary over the past 2 years and not one of them compares to this book. Yes I have read some excellent books but this one was out of this world. It was much more than a contemporary. It had a hint of mystery to it, which I’m not normally in to but with this it worked. A dash of romance really spiced this book up and it was topped off with a whole load of culture.

What made this book a refreshing read for me was the setting. Lately I’ve come to expect a book to either be set in America, London or Paris. So when I found out that this was set in Australia I jumped at the chance to read it. It’s not that I dislike the places that I mentioned above, I’m just getting bored of seeing the same places in books. I crave something new, something exciting and well, just something different.

I really enjoyed the territory wars aspect of the book, as it was interesting to see how the characters dealt with adult tasks and the political roles they’d been pushed into. I also found this quite amusing as each leader took it quite serious even though it had originally been created as a means of fun.

The subplot of this book was quite dark and at points I found myself having to put the book down as it did make me quite emotional. It wasn’t dark in a scary way but in how the characters acted and the thoughts they were having. I did like how the subplot intertwined with the present and the fact that the reader has to piece it together to understand how and why it brings us back to the main character.

I don’t want to keep you guys any longer, as this is a book you should experience firsthand without reading any spoilers. It’s better to go into it blind rather than knowing because it truly is an amazing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...