Friday, 29 November 2013

[Review] Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Published September 10th 2013 by St. Martins Griffin
Hardcover, 438 Pages
Synopsis:
In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
My Thoughts:
After the week I’ve been having I needed a pick me up, this came in the form of a contemporary novel. As you may have guessed from the title of this post I finally read Fangirl and it should come as no surprise that I loved this book. Just like everyone else.

I hadn’t read anything by Rainbow before and thought I’d go for her new book as it has been getting some wonderful reviews online. It was also cheap on Amazon so why not aye?! I was a bit precarious as to whether I liked this book at first. It took some time getting used to Rowell’s writing style but once Id settled into the flow of it I couldn’t get enough.

She has created a loveable bunch of characters that will stay with you even after you’ve finished reading. However, I did feel like pulling my hair out at some points, whether it being from one of the characters making a wrong choice or just the plain obviousness of things that were going on around them that they hadn’t noticed. The character that stood out most to me has to be Reagan. I felt that she was easy to relate to and her sarcastic sense of humour is right up my street.

Oh boy, Levi and his infectious grin. Where can I find myself one of him? I don’t think I can carry on talking about him without majorly swooning. I’m a Levi fangirl and that’s a fact. 

But lets not forget this book doesn’t just focus on boys, sex and other naughty naughtiness ;) It’s much deeper than that. We’re taken on a journey of self-discovery, first love and independence as our main protagonist struggles to come to grips with starting university. There’s also a few family issues thrown in there because what is a contemporary without family feuds?

This book made my terrible week seem not so bad anymore. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I’d love to read some more of Rainbow Rowells work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...