Saturday, 14 September 2013

[Review] Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Published September 29th 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton
Hardback UK, 418 Pages
Synopsis:
"Errand requiring immediate attention. Come. The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things.
When Brimstone called, she always came."
In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.
Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.
My Thoughts:
It’s been a long time since I read this book but a review is better late than never! I'm planning on reading the second book soon so I thought it’d be the perfect time to write this. So, first things first, this book was fricken epic. And when I say epic I mean EPIC. Yeah I do realise how many times I've said the word epic in the last few sentences but it really is the perfect word to describe this book.

My review probably won’t do this book any justice. I mean I can’t even put my thoughts coherently together at this point and it’s been a year since I read it! It just goes to show how much this book blew my mind. If you haven’t read it yet then please just go and buy it. Read it, Live it and Love it. 

This book is a rare find, it’s not very often you come across a book which is so utterly perfect. Laini Taylor has created something to be proud of. Her words are ones of fine craftsmanship. She isn't just good at writing; she’s a master of writing. With the flow of a smooth symphony, this book may seem slow but it enables the reader to appreciate it a lot more. 

I picked this book up with no clue to what it was about or who Laini Taylor was. I’d seen a few reviews on YouTube and thought that it sounded right up my street. I wasn't wrong. It captured my heart right from the start and the fact that its set in Prague just heightened my love for it even more. Prague is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. So while reading this I was reminded of the mystical atmosphere that surrounds this city with its Gothic churches and the creepy gargoyles that swarm them.

I adored everything about this book. With its eye catching cover and wonderfully sculpted characters, I was hooked. I really enjoyed how as readers we were in the same position as Karou. We didn't really know much about her or where she came from and even if she was human or not! But in a fateful moment her world comes crashing down around her. The secrets of her past are handed to us on a silver platter. The truths out and we’re finally able to come to terms with what’s happening in this mysterious world and why it all started in the first place.

I'm glad that I went into this story blind as it added mystery to the book. But this book is more than a mystery. I can’t even begin to explain what it is. However, it is definitely something, something that not even words can do justice. It’s definitely a 5 star read that deserves a place on everyone’s shelf.

2 comments:

  1. I've herd so much about this book an it really sounds like it lives up to the hype!!
    The characters sound so interesting and fun to read about. And I've herd that the culture is really cool too!! I mean I don't think I've ever read a book set in Prague! :-)
    I definitely need to read this book! Thanks for the great review and I hope you get to rea the second one soon! I've heard it's really good!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! Such a lovely book!

    Katy @ a blighted one

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...