Saturday, 3 August 2013

[Review] A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger
Published June 4th 2013 by Poppy
Paperback, 291 Pages
Synopsis:
Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.
Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

My Thoughts: 
After a month of reading mostly paranormal books I wanted to read something light-hearted and fun. I’d previously read The DUFF by Kody Keplinger and I absolutely loved it, so when I found out that this one had been released in paperback I had to get it. As soon as it came in the post yesterday I started reading it and ended up finishing it in the same night. Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down and when I did it was to either eat or go to the toilet. 

This book is laugh out loud hilarious and not for the faint hearted. Why, you might ask. Well, like The DUFF, the characters in this book have the tendency to swear a lot. There are also a lot of sexual references throughout it and the book covers some gritty subjects. I know that some people don’t like books with a certain crudeness to them but I don’t mind it so much as I'm a big girl now and hey, I quite like it when a book includes these things! I'm a growing girl, what more could you expect?

A lot of people who've read this book didn't like Whitleys character, I don’t know why though as I thought she was awesome. I didn't always agree with some of the things she did but in a way she reminded me of myself. Like Whitley, I too can be cynical a lot of the time so I found her easy to relate to. I really enjoyed seeing her transform into a more mature and caring person by the end of the book. It was a realistic process and it shows how hard it can be to change your ways when you’re so used to them.

I really enjoyed the other characters in this book; we are also greeted by some familiar faces from The Duff. Harrison was a particular favourite of mine; he was first introduced to us in The Duff but wasn't focused on. However, in this book we get to see more of his sassy self as he befriends Whitley and helps her through some rough times. The Caulfield family made up a big part of the book; they are Whitleys soon to be step-family. Sylvia, the woman who has captured Whitleys fathers heart. I felt that Whitley was unappreciative to how hard Sylvia was trying to make sure that she fit in there and was happy. I really liked how caring she was towards Whitley and I thought that she made a nice addition to the book. Bailey is a little bundle of joy; I wish I could have a younger stepsister like her! She’s always so bubbly and alive; it was nice to see how her energy bought out the sisterly, caring side in Whitley. And then there’s Nathan, the dreaded one night stand from graduation. Not only is he going to be her stepbrother, but it turns out that they’re going to the same university as each other! So why is Whitley developing feelings for him? Because he’s wonderful of course. Yes, I have a crush on a fictional character. I don’t know what it is about Nathan, maybe it’s his smooth talking and gorgeous looks. Nathan bought out the good in Whitley; he made her want to be a better person. It was also great to see an appearance from Bianca and Wesley in this book; I’d forgotten how much I loved them two!

In typical young adult contemporary style, Whitley had family issues. This is an overdone subject but I felt that paired with Keplingers fantastic writing it worked. It seemed so realistic, like something that could actually happen. With all the drama I expected Whitley to crack sooner than what she did. But when she did it was nice to see everyone pull together and bring her back from the dead, it goes to show that family and friends still care no matter what you do. Unless its something really serious that is! A Midsummer's Nightmare is a wonderful contemporary that's perfect for the summer. Kody Keplinger has mastered the art of not holding back when it comes to writing and her books are so authentically teenagerish. They show the challenges that girls face today in a light and humorous way. Once you read one book by her you'll want to read more, so what are you waiting for? Check them out already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...