Friday, 2 August 2013

[Review] City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Published July 2nd 2007 by Walker Books
Paperback, 442 Pages
Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

My Thoughts:
After months of putting it off I finally decided to read City of Bones. With the movie coming out in August I had to see what all the hype was about. I was a bit unsure of it at first but as the story progressed I found myself loving every moment. I needed to know what happened next and I wouldn't stop until I had my answers. Cassandra Clare manages to grab the reader’s attention with nail biting action and a spellbinding attention to detail. I felt like I was a part of the Shadowhunter world, but I didn't mind this as it seemed so epic.

As most of you may know by now, City of Bones is the first book in a soon to be six book series. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love big series but I was a bit wary of this one as I wasn't sure whether I was going to like it or not. Alas, my previous worries were diminished as soon as I got into the book and I now know that I will definitely be carrying on with the series no matter how long it takes me to read them all!

I didn't really know much about the book when I picked it up as although there are so many reviews out there I haven’t really read any. I went into it with an open mind and ended up really enjoying it. I admit, the first 100 pages were slow for me and I didn't think that it would get any better. But as we started to learn more about this other world I found it to get quite interesting. I wasn't too keen on Cassandra Clare's writing style as I felt that it could get confusing at times, but you do get used to it as you get further into the book. I would've liked the book to have been written in first person as it would've been nice to have known what Clary was thinking and feeling during certain points and events.

I found it quite enjoyable to learn about the Shadowhunter world and the different demons which come with it. As readers we are in the same position as Clary, we don’t know anything about Runes or the histories surrounding these worlds. It was nice to find these things out with her as it made me feel like I was part of the story too. 

Throughout the book we meet an array of characters. Some are friendly whereas others are downright ghastly. At times I found it hard to keep up with all the different names as there was so many of them! My least favourite character has to be Simon, I'm sorry to those who love him but Christ he was annoying. I didn't like how jealous he was of Jace, I didn't like how he always had to get involved with things that he shouldn't and lastly I didn't like how much of a cock block he is. Simon is quite whiny and if I was Clary I probably would've ditched him a long time ago. Harsh, but it’s true. I know he’s just trying to look out for Clary because he’s her friend (secretly loves her as well) but man, give the girl a break! She doesn't always need you Simon. Apart from Simon, I can’t think of anyone else I didn't like. 

I didn't think that I’d like Magnus Bane that much but I ended up loving his character. Even though he wasn't in the book as much as I would've liked I'm hoping to see him in the rest of the series. Isabelle and Alec were both a nice addition to the book, I really liked how Isabelle can seem bitchy but as we get to know her she loosens up slightly and we see a more caring, softer side to her. Alec can be temperamental and nasty at times but it’s within reason, one which we learn later in the book. 

Clary and Jace took center stage throughout the book. With their consistent knit picking towards each other we see a blossoming friendship which could lead to more. I enjoyed the scenes between these two as their personalities really do clash; Jace has a cold, sarcastic demeanour with a drive to kill demons. Whereas Clary is a weak, “little” girl that doesn't know how to fend for herself, especially as she hasn't been exposed to this world before. I got giddy inside when things took a bit of a romantic turn in their relationship but towards the end of the book something truly shocking is revealed. You’ll have to read the book to find out what though!

Overall, I found the book very enjoyable and I rated it 4 out 5 stars on Goodreads. I would've given it 5 stars but I was a bit let down with the writing as like I said before it was confusing at times. I really liked the world building in this book as it definitely welcomed us into the Shadowhunter world and has set the scene for the next few books. If you plan on watching the movie then I recommend that you read the book first if you haven’t already. This is because you’ll be able to go into the movie with an understanding of what’s going on and the characters involved in it. I'm also a firm believer that books are always better than the movie regardless of it being well made.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great review! I'm anxious to see how this series will work on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...