Wednesday, 31 July 2013

[Review] The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Published 22nd March 2011 by Speak
Paperback, 277 Pages
Synopsis: 
Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby can't see her without seeing Bailey and Joe sees her only for herself, each offers Lennie something she desperately needs. But ultimately, it's up to Lennie to find her own way toward what she really needs-without Bailey.

My Thoughts:
Over the past few weeks I've been reading quite a few paranormal books so I was in need of a change. As its summer I decided that a contemporary would be the best choice. I wanted a light-hearted, cute read and I thought that The Sky Is Everywhere would be perfect. But oh no, this is an emotional book! It should come with a warning on the cover or something. Warning, this book will make you feel things. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but ever since reading John Greens TFiOS books manage to pull on my heart strings a whole lot more.

There’s so much I want to write in this review but it’d give too much away. So, I'm going to try to keep it short and sweet! 

This book is undoubtedly beautifully written and considering grief is such a big role in the book there’s a lot of humour. Lennie made me laugh like a loon at times, I'm pretty sure my mum thought there was something wrong with me. I really enjoyed the characters in this book as they each had their own personality and dealt with grief in different ways to each other. Everyone has a role to play in the plot line and I think that this helped progress the novel forward. 

Now, there is a love triangle and I know what you’re all thinking “Oh no, one of them damn things”. I thought that too at first but I actually ended up liking it as I think that it worked for this particular novel. Toby understood Lennie’s grief and revelled in it with her; he was also Bailey’s boyfriend so she felt closer to her sister when he was around. However, Joe helped her feel alive again and showed her what it truly means to be alive, to just exist. After reading this book I want a boy like Joe, he’s so compassionate towards Lennie which melted my heart. Oh yeah, he’s also practically a musical genius, boys with a talent are a giant YES in my book!

Throughout the book we see Lennie go on a journey of loss, grief, first love and self-discovery. I felt myself sympathise for her time and time again, especially when things got too much. I really enjoyed the formatting of this book; it reminded me of Amy and Rogers Epic Detour as there are photocopies of notes throughout the story. These notes are ones that Lennie has written on random scraps and places around the town. She has left these in hope that maybe someone will find them and understand her. The notes contain poems, discussions between her and Bailey and memories of times before her sister’s death. I thought that this was a nice touch as it made me feel closer to her character and it meant we were able to get to know what her sister was like. 

I'm glad that I read this book as it definitely bought a smile to my face on more than one occasion. It’s a great contemporary for the summer and would make a nice beach read as its quite short so you could read it in one day while soaking up the rays.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cover artwork! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...