Monday, 17 June 2013

The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles


The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles
Released December 13th 2012
Published by RHCP Digital
Kindle Edition, 448 Pages

Synopsis:
Meet Rochelle Evans: pretty, popular--and never been kissed. Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile--and a total player. And also Elle's best friend's older brother... 

When Elle decides to run a kissing booth for the school's Spring Carnival, she locks lips with Noah and her life is turned upside down. Her head says to keep away, but her heart wants to draw closer--this romance seems far from fairy tale and headed for heartbreak. 

But will Elle get her happily ever after?

My Thoughts:
I've had this book on Netgalley waiting to be read since the start of the year so when I got my Kindle I decided to give it ago. I wanted to sink into something light and easy before going into full speed ahead reading mode. This was absolutely perfect for what I wanted but it wasn't near enough as good as I hoped it to be. However I wasn't expecting anything too amazing as the authors seventeen and from Wales’s writing about an American teenager. This is slightly prejudiced of me but I didn't see how she could write about American school life without much knowledge of the lifestyle and slang.

Now is it just me or does every young adult book have a character called Noah in it these days? Don’t get me wrong I love the name but it is so overused in the world of YA.

This book had a promising plot line which failed to expand into something great I was thoroughly disappointed with this as I felt that the book got slightly too repetitive. There wasn't much character development which made it harder to relate to them, I would've liked to learn more about Noah other than the fact that he was a hunk with an attitude. It would've been better if he actually had a reason for being an obsessive psycho! He was controlling and at some points a bully, I hope that girls don’t want a guy like him in there life or I would be slightly worried about their well-being.

One thing I did like though was Elle’s friendship with Lee as it somewhat reminded me of my best friend and I so it was nice to be able to relate to them both. There was some one liners which amused me but the writing and dialog was tragic throughout the book which hopefully has been neatened up for the final print copy.

Elle’s relationship with her dad was particularly unrealistic, if my dad knew that I was spending the night with a “bad boy” he’d drag me home kicking and screaming rather than letting me come home the next morning without so much a peep of disappointment.

Overall this book had great potential but come up short, I would recommend this book to anyone who’s looking for a bit of romance to get into the summer mood but I wouldn't go into it with high expectations. This book is YA but its tipping slightly over to the new adult side with some of the issues that are faced in the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...