Monday, 1 April 2013

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem by Lauren Oliver
Released March 21st 2013(UK)
Published by Hodder and Stroughton
Hardcover, 400 Pages

Synopsis:
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

My Thoughts:
I cant believe thats it, the series I have devoured over the past three years is over just like that. So I stayed up till 6am this morning to finish reading this book and oh my I cant put into words how much I loved it which is quite weird as most people are hating on this finale. I'm going to try to make this review as brief and spoiler free as possible for the people who haven't read the series or finished the books yet!

First things first, I thoroughly enjoyed the format of this book and how it switched between Lena and Hana's point of view. I havent read the short story for Hana as I haven't got a kindle and the paperback version hasn't been released in the UK yet so it was refreshing to get inside her head and to see how her life has progressed since Lena's escape, the cure and the events which have followed. So Hana has been cured but it doesn't seem to have worked that well, there are still parts of her that shine through and haven't been destroyed by the cure. I really like how she isn't a mindless zombie like the rest of the cureds as she seems like an outgoing, eccentric character that would be completely ruined if the cure had worked properly. I thought I would be a bit more annoyed when she confesses to being the one who betrayed Lena but seeing her suffer from the grief and guilt was enough to make up for her actions.

So Lena is back in the wilds with most of the old characters from Pandemonium which was great to see as I loved reading about them in the second book, especially Julian. It was nice seeing him adapt to the wilds so easily as I thought that he was going to be whiny as he has been bought up with everything he has ever wanted so going into the wilds with nothing wouldn't be easy. With the return of Alex looming we see a tension grow between Julian and Lena which made me happy as I'm Team Alex all the way! but wait along comes Coral, a beautiful new love interest for Alex or should I say a distraction because all throughout the book it was so obvious that he was still in love with Lena but he gave her up so she could be happy. But we all know that it would always be Alex that she loves more, he was her first love and that isn't something you forget about easily. 

The plot line was a bit slow but I didn't mind that so much as it was getting us ready for something a lot bigger that was to come. Lauren Olivers style of writing is so beautiful, I found it easy to envision all of the settings and to feel/understand what both Lena and Hana were going through. Alas the ending came too soon, it was so abrupt! This major event was built up so much throughout the book and when it came I felt that it could've done with twenty more pages so we could get the full effect of this revolution. I want to know what happens to everyone, do they all die? what happens to Hana? is love no longer a disease? But I guess you can make it how you want it to be. The ending reminded me of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in a way as that ended without giving anything away about what happens to Hazel and co. Overall I really enjoyed this book and I recommend the series to anyone who is looking for a great dystopian series that focuses love, family and survival. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...