Thursday, 14 February 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent By Veronica Roth
Released May 3rd 2011
Published by Katherine Tegen Books
Paperback, 487 Pages
Synopsis:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

What I Thought:
I had been putting off reading this book for about a year now despite the great reviews I'd read about it, why I ever put it off I do not know! First things first, if you haven't read this book please stop everything you are doing and go read it even if you are climbing a mountain just stop and read :)

Dystopian books are slowly becoming my favourites, I love reading about these worlds that are so different from ours but relate in some shape or form. I've found that a lot of books are quite similar to The Hunger Games trilogy now but I don't really mind that as I love them books so I crave more of them. So Divergent starts off with main character Beatrice Prior preparing for her aptitude test, in the first chapter alone we find out quite a lot about the faction she's lived in since birth so immediately we learn how these factions live and what its like to be in Abnegation. I thought this was a great start as it gave me an idea of whats to come in the book and it helped me understood a bit more about this society. I wont say too much about the aptitude test and the choosing ceremony but while I was reading the book I didn't see why it was so important for her to keep her results quiet, but now it is definitely clear. 

I was so happy with the faction that Beatrice decided to go for as I think that Dauntless seem like the most interesting and fun faction to read about, right after the choosing ceremony we are thrown right into the world of Dauntless and heck it is a tough yet exciting one! during the course of the initiation we see Tris overcome her biggest fears and watch her grow into a strong, independent Dauntless girl which I really enjoyed reading about as the character development in this book was truly phenomenal. Along with Tris we meet new characters throughout the book, one of my favourites being Four. I always thought that there was something peculiar about him and the way he treats Tris, one minute he's the tough instructor that will throw knives at you to prove a point and then in the next minute he's the lovely boy that will do anything to save you. There is definitely more to his character than meets the eye. I love all of the other initiates as well, even though some of them aren't that nice they're interesting to read about especially Peter because he really is a nasty piece of work. 

The amount of effort that Veronica Roth has put into building this world is amazing, it was so easy to visualise all of the places that she had described in the book which is great as I felt like I was one of the initiates and seeing everything through their eyes at some points. I didn't really think that the plot was going very far at first but all becomes clear towards the end of the book, I definitely didn't see that coming! I think its definitely a great starting point to what seems like is going to be a very exciting series. The pacing of this book is perfect, it isn't slow but I don't think that it was full speed ahead instead every scene was well thought out which made it easier to understand what was going on and why. There was always something going on which grips your attention which I really liked as I don't think that there was any unnecessary scenes like you find in some books. 

The book is a nice size for a first book as it builds up to something bigger to come but also has a fantastic storyline which is sure to interest anyone, All in all I recommend this book to anyone who's interested in Dystopian novels, especially if you're a fan of The Hunger Games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...