Friday, 22 February 2013

Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake
Released July 5th 2012(UK)
Published by Orchard Books
Paperback, 373 Pages
Amazon(UK)
Amazon(US)

Synopsis:
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

What I thought:
Well that was certainly different, I'm still trying to process what exactly has gone on. After many months of having this book on my TBR pile collecting dust I finally thought that I would give the book a chance and I am so glad that I have. I didn't quite understand what was going on at first but Kendare Blake slowly lures you into this interesting yet horrific world. The synopsis given for the book sounded promising and I automatically wanted to find out what is so special about Cas that Anna feels the need to spare his life.

As soon as the books starts we are thrown into the wonderfully strange world of Cas, wow I've never read a book so descriptive. I felt like I was a part of this world my self, I found it easy to visualise everything that was being described in the book which believe me isn't always the best thing with this book, if you've read it you'll probably understand what I mean. I love how this book doesn't really have that many characters in it, this made it easy for me to remember who was who and not get confused. Which is something that happens a lot when a book introduces loads of different characters but not this one! I feel that each character was so different in this book and I loved how all of their personalities clashed yet somehow worked well together. Anna's character in particular stood out to me, even though she was gruesome in some parts I think that she's so easy to love, this is probably because something so bad happened to her yet she seems like she pulled through it and didn't let it take over her. Well maybe she did but that wasn't exactly her fault!

One thing I didn't like about this book was the romance, one minute Cas is saying how he's going to kill Anna and then the next minute he loves her! Okay so I get that feelings develop when you learn more about a person. But Anna is a ghost and he is a human which somehow doesn't work, they're doomed from the start so its not exactly going to work for them. It was cute how Cas was the only person she could truly be calm around before she got set free and I did like seeing how he always made sure that she was alright.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, the pacing of it was great as there was never a dull moment that dragged on. The plot line was clever and kept me on the edge throughout the whole of the book, I felt nervous for the characters a lot of the time. I actually liked the horror aspect to the book especially as Kendare Blake hasn't held back in some parts which you'd expect a YA author to do. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in paranormal YA or if your someone who is looking for something thats slightly gruesome in some parts, this is the book for you!

7 comments:

  1. I have been holding off reading this book but i have to say your review has made me want to give it a try :) Might have to move it up on my list if books to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was holding off on this book for ages, but I'm so glad that I've read it now :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I've been hearing really good things about this book, and I do love a good ghost/horror story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lot better than I thought it would be :)

      Delete
  3. It certainly is different isn't it? Have you read the sequel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I didn't expect it to be so...creepy? I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping to get it soon, I think it comes out in the UK this week :)

      Delete
  4. This cover is gorgeous,Makes me wanna just go out and buy it.It's so eye catching!

    New follower here. I stumbled across your blog through a Book blogs thread.Seeing as how your blog is still active,I decided to sign up(Many people up there don't seem active don't know why)

    I look forward to your future posts and hope i can get some great suggestions from your list of reviews.Hope i can see you back at either one of my blogs.

    guinandlibertadtomas.blogspot.com

    yamulticulturaljunkie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...